Prep Time: 30 Min
Cook Time: 20 Min
Total Time: 50 Min
For the casing
- All-purpose flour – 1 cup + extra for dusting
- Boiling water – ⅔ cup
- Salt to taste
For the filling
- Chicken mince – 250 gms
- Light soy sauce -1 tbsp
- Carrot – 1, small, finely minced
- Garlic – 6 cloves, minced
- Green onion – 2, finely chopped
- Leeks – 1, finely chopped (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Light soy sauce – 4 tbsp
- Red chillies – 2 – 3
- Sesame oil – ½ tsp
- Chopped spring onion greens – 1 tbsp
- First make the dough. In a large bowl mix the flour and salt. Now add boiling water gradually and start mixing it using a wooden spoon.
- When the dough becomes cool enough to handle, start kneading it with hand. Add some dry flour if it gets sticky and continue kneading until it becomes soft.
- Cover it with a damp kitchen towel and keep it aside for 30 minutes.
- Next prepare the filling. Add chicken mince, chopped carrots, chopped leeks, minced garlic and chopped green onion in a large bowl and mix them together with a light hand. Season with soy sauce, salt and black pepper to taste. Mix well.
- Now it’s time to make the casing. Tip out the dough on a flat surface and knead it again. Take small ball of dough of about 1 inch diameter. Roll it into a thin round disc of about 2 inches diameter and about ¼ centimeter thick. Make sure the casing is thin, else it will not cook thoroughly and will not let the chicken cook evenly.
- Now let’s stuff the chicken dim sum. Take about a tablespoon of the chicken filling and place the filling in the center of the disc. Now shape the dim sum by squeezing the sides of dough disc.
- Once all the dim sums are shaped, steam them on medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes. Keep the steamer covered during steaming. (If you don’t have a steamer, boil water in a sauce pan and place a stainless steel sieve or colander over it. Cover the tiny holes of the sieve with some cabbage leaves and place the dim sums on top. Cover the dim sums with a dome-shaped lid and start steaming.)
- While the chicken dim sums are steaming, make the dipping sauce by mixing the light soy sauce, spring onion greens, finely chopped red chilles and sesame oil. Whisk them thoroughly and reserve until serving.
- After the chicken dim sums are thoroughly cooked (you can check by inserting a toothpick at the center of a dim sum and it should come out clean), take them out and garnish with greens of spring onions. Serve the hot chicken dim sum along with soy chilli dipping sauce.